Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nigga That's Gay


Two controversial words my generation has been berated for using are nigga and gay. Many people have waged on this issue and now I'm here to offer my two cents on the matter.

WORDS HAVE MEANING, BUT ONLY, BUT ONLY (yes I repeated that on purpose) IN CONTEXT. As a writer and just as a human being who speaks I take this rule to heart. So, with that being the case if someone is saying, "That's my nigga." They are saying that's my friend. They are not saying that's my person that I know who is contemptable, inferior and less than me because they are Black.

Riding along that same wave of thought, if someone says "That's gay." They are generally using the word gay as a negative adjective to describe something unsavory, unjust, unfair or just not right. For example, if I lost my metrocard and someone says aw, sorry Mel, that's gay. Then that someone is using the word gay negatively which is offensive. Let's try something. What if people used nigga they way other people used gay.

Person One: I just failed all of my exams.

Person Two: Damn sorry to hear that. That's nigga.

Person One: I know. That's super nigga.

Random Stranger: That's OFFENSIVE.

The best way to kill a word is to not use it yourself. If you don't like these words don't use them and hopefully the people around you will take the hint and not use them around you. It is impossible and hypocritical to forbid certain communities from using the word, but allow others to say it. Words are free for everyone that can say or write them. If you are someone that is easily offended by what other people are saying then stop reading now because life will continue to be prettygoddamnedhard for you to fucking deal with whatever the fuck people feel like saying at any cockshittingfucking moment. If you are still reading, sorry to curse you out, just making a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?