Saturday, November 16, 2013

My Main Jam!

When I decided to extend my trip in Mexico, I was forewarned by one of the volunteer coordinators that it would be really hard to leave after an extended stay, and she sure was right.

I never expected to meet really great, awesome friends from all over the world here in Mexico but that's pretty much what's been happening. I made a really really great friend at a crucial time during my journey and her name is Bek, short for Rebekah. She's a kick-ass awesome chick from the great state of Washington, think Seattle not white house.



It has been beyond a luxury to have a great friend who actually understands me here. As you can imagine, being a head-strong, gringa in a house full of indigenous young Mexicans with varying levels of English can be a challenge. So, it was so nice to have a really great friend to reassure me that I wasn't losing my mind :)


She understands the frustrations that come with not being able to understand Spanish as quickly as one would like, and  how different it is being so far away from home. (Mexico isn't too far away in terms of mileage, but in terms of lifestyle, daily routines even jokes, it can feel like another planet at times.)

She also knows how blessed we are to have the opportunity to live in another country, and have that country be as amazingly wonderful as Mexico.

She's the best wingWOMAN ever! She took a bullet for the team when we hung out with my crush and two of his super annoying friends.  She was always  willing to lend a listening ear and good advice.

If it was the end of the night and I was out of cash, she'd loan me the cash to take a cab home, just so I wouldn't have to walk.

If I was late to the party, which I usually am, she'd wait for me and make sure the group didn't make any big decisions for the night with out me.

She helped me with my spanish!!

When I was annoyed with a mutual friend, she listened to my side and gave me her honest opinion.

She introduced me to La Cruz, the black market here in Queretaro and we drank a milkshake out of a bag!!! (it's more gangster that way, picture a clear plastic bag with a straw)

WE WATCHED OLD SEASONS OF The REN AND STIMPY show!!!!  A show that I'm so happy I revisited as an adult because it's hysterical,  and totally inappropriate for children. Did you know that the sound track for the show incorporated really good music like from all sorts of genres from classical to jazz and swing? That's right, it went waaay beyond Happy Happy Joy Joy-- which still jams btw.


Anyhoo, needless to say I was heartbroken when she told me she some asses to kick back home in the U.S. and she had to go back with in a week! I was so sad, I cried. The tears just flowed and flowed, it was crazy! I think I'm a lot more emotional here because of the sun. But yep, I cried, it was just too sad that the bestest friend I made here has to go home, and soon I'd be back on my own.

I came here on this trip by myself to prove that I could do it. I'm a 25 year old woman, living in a foreign country where I'm not fluent in the language,  and Lord knows I've gained some Phoenix feathers by being here.

 Although I had to travel around the world to find her, I'm so glad that we now know each other, and instead of being sad that our time here in Mexico is finished, I'm grateful that it happened.

Bek, I miss you so much girl but I'll see you back home in the states!

Me and Bek with part of the crew #LostBoys Photo by Joel Maurico Perez Cano

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?